Friday 23 May 2014

Mango Tart


Breakfast is served


There are those few persons who rather a sweet bite for breakfast, Danish, donuts, tarts , muffins and all the sorts.  I’m not one of those persons, for me breakfast is bacon and eggs. I was thinking about baking some scones for this post and as usual Instagram reared its beautiful head and had me double thinking all my plans. Check out this pic by @simplymanis the moment I saw this image I decided I wanted to try to make it. My mini tarts are no way as pretty as hers, but a girl can dream.

This tart is loaded with intense mango flavor. Currently its mango season, so this is a great way to use up some extra mango that’s on hand.  I used two different types of mango an “East Indian Mango” for the filling and a “Julie mango” for the topping.  The East Indian is a very hairy mango but its intensely sweet and flavorful so it worked great as a filling. The Julie mango is not hairy at all, it has a sweet subtle buttery essence that pairs very well with the tartness of the lime glaze. 

I love Paula Dean’s fruit tart recipe, especially her crust, its super easy and quick to make. I modified her recipe to make mine.  I hope you try this out, serve it at your next brunch.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

Crust
1 ½ stick butter
1 ½ cup flour
½ cup powdered sugar

Filling
1 8 oz pack of cream cheese
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup mango puree

Topping
1 mango sliced
½ lime juice
½ cup Sugar
¼ cup Water
½ teaspoon Lime zest




Greedy tips:

  • If you don't have pie weights just poke holes with a fork in the dough (just lightly don't pierce)
  • Make sure the crust is completely cooled before filling with the mango cream
  • Serve within 24 to 48 hours
  • Paula Deans original recipe

Shopping

Mini tart pans



Tart tamper click here:Fox Run Tart Tamper

No comments:

Post a Comment