Friday 12 May 2017

One pot chicken and rice and beans


Rotisserie revamp!

Store bought rotisserie revamp 4: Rice and peas and chicken
This recipe I really pulled out of thin air. I had a half of rotisserie in the refrigerator and you know that means dry. You could easily pop it in the microwave and make the rice separately, but I wanted to see how best I could infuse the flavors of the coconut milk and rice into the chicken. Similar to what happens when we make an arrzo con pollo. The thing that I had to be mindful of was the fact that the chicken was already fully cooked and I did not want the risk of it turning to mush.
I think the technique worked, it made the chicken seem more homemade than store bought. It was definitely that 8 minute soak in the flavorful coconut milk mixture. It warmed the chicken through and added flavor, and the chicken in turn added flavor to the perfectly cooked rice. You can use red peas, black eyed peas  and guano peas however my favorite for rice is black beans. I don’t know what it is about black beans that goes so well with coconut milk and all the Jamaican flavors.

All this needs is a side of gravy, some salad a little mac an cheese and that’s Sunday dinner. Super easy one pot chicken recipe that turns left over rotisserie chicken into goals. I don’t think anyone would know this was a store bought rotisserie chicken at all.





½ rotisserie chicken cut into parts
2 cup rice
4 cup coconut milk
1 can black beans
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1 Scallion stalk
5 sprigs Thyme
½ teaspoon Pimento
1 teaspoon Ground pimento
2 tablespoon Coconut oil
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Sugar




Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment