Friday 8 September 2017

Rosemary smoked beef short ribs



"Beefy"

This is my first time making bbq short ribs. Normally I make them as a stew with red wine, carrots and the works. I decided I wanted to do a bit of smoking, and rosemary is one of the best herbs to do this. I am lucky enough to have a friend who has the most fragrant strain of rosemary growing like weeds at his apartment complex. I was going to get some from my mother’s plant, but her plant is no where near as fragrant as my friends. He gave me basically a lifetime supply of rosemary and I put it to good use.

You are going to need a lot of rosemary for this one, I cant even lie. Those little packs in the grocery store wont cut it. So this recipe is most suited for the person with a plant growing at home. The rosemary burns off very fast in the smoker it creates thick immediate smoke for about 5 to 8 minutes once it hits the heat. So what I did to keep the smoke continuous, was to add fresh rosemary twigs to the hot coals every 10 to 15 minutes. I also kept the rosemary in a pan of water soaking right inside the grill to prolong their burn time even more. I can tell you that as I write this I can’t smell anything other than rosemary. My senses are so saturated with its smell that I couldn’t even taste it on the ribs. Mind you my cousin says the rosemary flavor on the ribs was intense and delicious.

My husband came home for his early dinner thinking it was pork ribs and not beef. Even though I told him several times its beef. Never the less, he devoured it with fries. It got me thinking about those of you who may want to adapt this recipe to pork. I constantly cook pork ribs at home and this is the same method I use to make my pork spare ribs. So If your not a fan of beef you can make this recipe with pork ribs. You can even adhere to the same cooking times. I however would use thyme to smoke the pork instead of rosemary since pork’s flavor is more subtle than beef, the amount of rosemary I used would probably overpower the pork ribs. So if your going with pork ribs follow the recipe exactly with these three exceptions. 1, smoke over thyme, 2 lay the pork ribs on a bed of scallion and ginger and lastly use apple juice instead of pineapple juice.

If you’re a lover of beef short ribs, get your hands on a whole lot of rosemary and get cooking!






For the brine
Beef short ribs
6 to 8 cups water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup salt
1 small onion sliced
1 tablespoon allspice berries
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
2 bay leaves
2 scallion stalks
2 sprigs thyme
3 garlic cloves crushed
For the dry rub
3 pinches salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoon ground jalapeno
3 teaspoon ground sage
3 teaspoon onion powder
Other
1 bushel of rosemary
2 tablespoon honey
1 cup pineapple juice








XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment