Saturday 13 January 2018

Red wine iced mocha


"Feast of Saint Valentine"


Sometimes you just want a glass of red wine in the morning without the judgmental gasps. If that’s you then what better way than to camouflage that glass with some mocha. In all honesty there is more milk than red wine in this, but the flavors of the wine do stand out.  Its cold, and has the perfect balance of bitter, sweet and tart. They always say its 5-o clock somewhere.


I feel like I have not blogged in 6 months even though my last post was a month ago. I decided that I won’t let this year’s chocolate month fall victim to what happened last year because I was on my honeymoon. So I decided I have to at least posts six chocolate recipes for the month to get back on track with my bi-weekly posts. I always attempt to so some kind of “hot chocolate’ in January so to kick start things, let’s make this super easy and delicious drink.

I love iced coffee almost as much if not more than hot. Red wine on the other hand not so much, unless it’s on the sweeter side. I’m much more a fan of white wine than red. But for a hot chocolate with a touch of coffee I don’t think a white wine could stand up to it. A nice bold sweet, slightly dry red is the only thing for it. I purposely did not ‘cook’ this over a flame because I did not want the alcohol to evaporate from the mixture. Most of the time when alcohol gets cooked out of food it loses its kick. You could boil the chocolate milk mixture and then stir in the red wine at the end. But then it would take longer to chill.



Serves 2

Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 cup whole milk
1.5 oz semi sweet dark chocolate
1 tablespoon cacao powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
2.5 tablespoon sugar
2 pinches Salt
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
¾ cup Red wine

Instructions

  • Melt the chocolate in a microwave or double boiler
  • Dip the glasses into the chocolate and chill to harden on the rim
  • Add warm milk to the remaining chocolate and stir until the melted chocolate is dissolved
  • Add the cacao powder, coffee, sugar, salt, nutmeg, vanilla and salt, mix thoroughly
  • Add red wine stir, chill mixture
  • Pour into the prepared glasses and serve


Greedy tips:

  • The coffee is optional, depending on how dry your red wine is or how strong the coffee is it can compete with each other. 
  • I recommend using a sweet red wine
  • Make sure to chill the mixture thoroughly before serving, if its not as cold you can also use ice, however the ice can water down the drink if its left there for too long. An alternative to ice would be to make some ice-cubes of the chocolate milk mixture before the red wine is added.






Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment