Tuesday 20 March 2018

Coconut Shrimp



"Something Smells Fishy"


This is my sisters favorite dish. Actually, let me take that back, this was my sisters favorite dish before she suddenly developed an allergic reaction to shrimp in her 20’s. After years of sampling coconut shrimp from every single restaurant we have ever been to that sells it, her heart sinks because she can no longer eat it. She was indeed the coconut shrimp queen. This post is in dedication to her former self, I pray she does not suddenly develop allergies to lobster, because then she would really be devastated.


Coconut shrimp is a dish I have always wanted to make, but I’ve never had unsweetened coconut flakes just laying around. I purchased a huge bag of the Bob mills flakes for a recipe last month and had the rest in the freezer. I made sure to take the opportunity to try my hand at some coconut shrimp. Fried shrimp I have mastered, I almost always have panko bread crumbs, corn starch and flour.  I always wondered if the coconut flakes really adhere to the shrimp like panko. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it does.

 I wanted to make this very coconutty. I added coconut in all the layers If I had coconut flour I would have mixed the regular flour and the coconut flour in a 50/50 ratio. Never-the-less the shrimp is dipped in coconut milk, dredged in coconut flakes and fried in coconut oil. The natural sweetness and nuttiness from the flakes is accentuated by the fact that its fried in coconut oil. I would recommend using an organic cold pressed variety of oil so that you get the coconut flavor. Coconut oils that are not cold pressed tend to lose the coconut flavor, even though they still have all the other valuable properties. For me a coconut oil must smell and taste nutty.

Overall this was a delicious bite, would make a great appetizer, or even a main dish.  It was super easy to make. The video instructions was filmed with close up shots; journey of one shrimp to accentuate how easy it really is to make. I didn’t want to get into sauces, because its quite good on its own. But feel free to dip this in whatever your hearts desires….even ketchup.






1 lb Shrimp (peeled and deveined tail on)
½ teaspoon Salt (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 cup Coconut milk
1 cup Flour
1 cup unsweetened Coconut flakes
Enough Oil to fry





XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment